Python- Course Syllabus
Programming Essentials in Python course (short form: Python Essentials) covers all the basics of programming in Python, as well as general computer programming concepts and techniques.
The course also familiarizes the student with object-oriented approach.
Students who complete the course will be able to accomplish coding tasks related to the basics of programming in the Python language, and to understand the fundamental notions and techniques used in object-oriented programming.
Module 1 - Introduction to Python and Computer Programming
- Python - a tool, not a reptile
- There is more than one Python
- Let's start our Python adventure
Module 2 - Data Types, Variables, Basic Input-Output Operations, Basic Operators
- Your first program
- Python literals
- Operators - data manipulation tools
- Variables - data-shaped boxes
- How to talk to computer?
Module 3 - Boolean Values, Conditional Execution, Loops, Lists and List Processing, Logical and Bitwise Operations
- Making decisions in Python
- Python's loops
- Logic and bit operations in Python
- Lists - collections of data
- Sorting simple lists - the bubble sort algorithm
- Lists - some more details
- Lists in advanced applications
Module 4 - Functions, Tuples, Dictionaries, and Data Processing
- Writing functions in Python
- How functions communicate with their environment?
- Returning a result from a function
- Scopes in Python
- Let's make some fun... sorry, functions
- Tuples and dictionaries
Module 5 - Modules, Packages, String and List Methods, and Exceptions
- Using modules
- Some useful modules
- What is package?
- Errors - the programmer's daily bread
- The anatomy of exception
- Some of the most useful exceptions
- Characters and strings vs. computers
- Python's nature of strings
- String methods
- Strings in action
- Four simple programs
Module 6 - The Object-Oriented Approach: Classes, Methods, Objects, and the Standard Objective Features; Exception Handling, and Working with Files
- Basic concepts of object programming
- A short journey from procedural to object approach
- Inheritance - one of object programming foundations
- Exceptions once again
- Generators and closures
- Processing files
- Working with real files